We accept the CareCredit card. Call to learn more!


Power Chairs with Medicare & Insurance

  • How Do I know if I qualify for Medicare Coverage for a power wheelchair?

    Under Medicare coverage guidelines, power wheelchairs are covered if they are medically necessary for you to perform daily living activities in your home that can't be performed using a cane, walker, manually operated wheelchair or a mobility scooter. In addition, you must demonstrate the ability to safely and effectively operate the power wheelchair in your home. 
  • What is Competitive Bidding and how does that affect my Medicare power chair coverage?

    Competitive Bid Area (CBA) means that a contract is awarded to a power chair supplier based solely on price (not quality or service). If you live in one of these CBA areas it takes away your choices as a consumer and you will only be able to obtain a power chair from the bid winner.
  • How is the new Healthcare Law effecting my power wheelchair coverage?

    Now, instead of a purchase option, Medicare requires that the power chair is rented over a period of 13 months. Rather than being billed once, seniors will be billed each month during this 13 months for any applicable co-pays and deductibles. Once payment is made in full through Medicare and any beneficiary co-pays and/or deductibles, ownership of the power chair will be transferred to you.
  • Why do I have to see a doctor for Medicare to cover my power wheelchair?

    Medicare coverage guidelines require you to have a face-to-face office visit with your doctor before they will cover any portion of a motorized chair for elderly loved ones. Also, please understand that this visit must be for a mobility evaluation, not just a general examination.
  • Will Medicare and my insurance company pay for 100% of my Hoveround power chair?

    Hoveround motorized chair for elderly loved ones can change everythingThe cost of a motorized chair may vary based on your insurance coverage. However, 9 out of 10 customers receive their Hoveround Power Wheelchair for little or no cost out of pocket.1 If you meet their criteria, Medicare will pay 80% of the cost of your power chair, and if you have met your deductibles, your supplemental insurance may cover the remaining 20% of the cost.

    Please note that the Medicare benefit has been changed to a 13-month rental, with ownership transferred to the beneficiary once full payment has beenmade through Medicare, along with any beneficiary co-pays or deductibles.

    1Insurance coverage depends on medical necessity which is determined by your insurer. A valid doctor's prescription is required.

  • Do I have to pay the 20% co-payment?

    If you qualify and have met your deductible, Medicare will pay up to 80 percent of the cost of your power chair. You're responsible for paying the remaining 20 percent of the cos either directly or through supplemental insurance. Please note that Medicare benefit has been changed to a 13-month rental, so you will be billed monthly over the 13-month period. After full payment has been made ownership of the chair will be transferred to the beneficiary.
  • How do I obtain Medicare coverage for a power wheelchair?

    The first step in obtaining Medicare coverage for your power chair is to speak with a Hoveround Mobility Specialist and schedule an appointment with your doctor. This appointment must be specifically for a mobility evaluation. Your doctor will evaluate your mobility limitations inside your home to determine medical necessity for a power wheelchair. A doctor's prescription is required for Medicare coverage.
  • Who initiates the necessary Medicare or insurance paperwork?

    Hoveround will handle all of the required Medicare or insurance paperwork directly with your physician once we receive your doctor's prescription. We then submit and track your Medicare and/or insurance paperwork on your behalf.
  • Does my insurance pay for accessories such as cup holders and side bags?

    Unfortunately, most insurance companies do not cover the cost of any accessories unless they are deemed medically necessary by the insurer. Hoveround does sell an array of power wheelchair accessories, and you can review them and place an order online. Or you may simply call us at 1-800-308-5002 and we will be happy to help you with your accessory order.
  • Why doesn't insurance pay for ramps, vehicle lifts, and stair lifts?

    Most insurance companies will not cover items that are not considered a medical device. Hoveround understands that these items might be necessary for you to remain independent inside and outside your home. We can assist you with making the best decision when purchasing products to meet your needs. You can call our Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-308-5002.
  • Does Medicare pay for repairs to my power chair?

    Medicare has changed the coverage policy for repairs. If you have Medicare benefits and want to use those benefits to pay for repairs on your power wheelchair or mobility scooter your doctor must provide medical documentation from your patient chart notes indicating the continued use and medical need of your mobility equipment. Please see our complete article Medicare Policy Updates - Repair Coverage by Medicare or call our service department at 1-800-964-6837 with any questions so we can help guide you through this Medicare policy update.
  • Does It Mean I've given up by Getting a Hoveround?

    Absolutely not. Most people that get a Hoveround power wheelchair find themselves getting out and doing more activities with their power chair than they had previously considered. They also become more socially engaged, find themselves more readily available to interact with family and friends, and generally find themselves having more fun. You can read how to take advantage of your new mobility power wheelchair with our article about ways Hoveround can take you where you want to go — and don't let our list stop you from adding more events or places to your own list.

    Having more mobility can bring addedvalue to your life and likely have a positive impact on your overall health and well being. And increased mobility can provide the independence of aging in place by allowing you to stay in your own home, with many people obtaiining a power wheelchair at little or no cost out of pocket1.

    Many people that use a Hoveround have told us they can't believe they waited so long to get their life back. It all starts with a free consultation with one of our fully-trained mobility specialists, so don't wait to find out how a power wheelchair can help you regain your freedom and independence. Call us today at 1-800-542-7236 or send us an email to learn more.

    1Insurance coverage depends on medical necessity as determined by your insurer, and a valid doctor's prescription is required.

    D80014993 Rev**