Medicare Policy Updates for Power Wheelchairs
The Healthcare Reform Bill has raised several questions about its impact on America’s senior citizens.
Hoveround is committed to helping our customers understand these laws around healthcare and power wheelchairs, and working with Congress to ensure America’s seniors maintain access to the products and services they need to maintain or regain their independence.
How Does this Bill Affect You?
13-Month Rental Program: As of January 1, 2011, instead of a purchase option, Medicare requires that power wheelchairs are rented over a period of 13 months. Rather than being billed once, seniors will be billed over 13 months for any applicable co-pays and deductibles. Once payment is made in full through both Medicare and any beneficiary co-pays and/or deductibles, the ownership of the power wheelchair is transferred to you.
Details about the Bill
The new law will impact seniors seeking mobility products in several ways:
- In the past, Medicare beneficiaries had the option to purchase or rent their power wheelchairs. Due to long-term needs, over 95% of seniors purchased their power wheelchairs.
- Effective January 1, 2011, Medicare beneficiaries no longer have the option to purchase their power wheelchairs. Their only option will be to rent the equipment over a 13-month period.
- Once that 13-month rental period is over and payment has been received in full, Hoveround, or another equipment supplier, will transfer ownership to the beneficiary.
- Rather than being billed once, seniors will be billed over 13 months for any applicable co-pays and deductibles.
- Any seniors that have already purchased a “standard” power wheelchair will not be affected by this new policy except if equipment replacement is needed.
Hoveround is committed to providing you with the high-quality mobility products you need, and will continue to support our customers with the best-in-class customer service they have come to expect.
If you have further questions about how the new law will impact you, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our mobility specialists at 1-800-542-7236
. Our goal is to provide you with all of the information and resources you need to make the best mobility decision for you.