The freedom to travel and visit new places is something that everyone should be able to enjoy, and that includes anyone who uses mobility equipment, such as power wheelchairs and/or mobility scooters.
Since getting there is half the battle, airline accessibility is crucial to power chair users who want to travel by air. The Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) and the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) mandate all airports and airlines which operate within the United States to be fully accessible to disabled travelers and for their assistive equipment.
Features of Power Wheelchair Accessible Airlines
Generally speaking, US airports must comply with basic ADA accessibility rules. With few exceptions, power chair users should expect to receive the accessible travel services noted below:1
- Wheelchair accessible parking near the airport terminal
- Shuttle service to parking lots, airport terminals and/or hotels
- Access to ticket kiosks, baggage check areas, security checkpoints,etc.
- Accessible restrooms throughout the terminal
- Complimentary wheelchairs for passenger use, as needed
- ADA-compliant wheelchair ramps and/or mechanical lifts
- Preferential pre-boarding and priority seating
- Storage for power chairs, scooters and other devices
- Assistance with luggage, boarding and deplaning
Best Advice: Consult a Special Needs Travel Agent
Special needs travel agents are particularly knowledgeable about wheelchair-bound travelers. They can arrange for advanced booking, transportation, mobility equipment rentals, accessible hotels and whatever is needed to make vacationing with a power chair easier.
Might a Hoveround power chair be your best option for renewed mobility? Find out by calling 800-542-7236 and speaking with one of our Mobility Specialists.
The resources below may provide additional information on accessible travel options.
- Aviation Consumer Protection Division, Information for the Air Traveler
with a Disability
- Disability Travel Agents (listings from The Opening Door, Inc)
1All services listed may not be available through every air carrier. However, upon request, disabled passengers can rightfully obtain information about the accessible services provided by a specific airline.
This article is for general informational purposes only. Hoveround Corporation does not guarantee nor endorse the content, opinions or services of any third-party resource listed herein, nor is responsible to any entity for the outcome of using any service obtained through these resources.