The power wheelchair tire is another basic, yet very essential part of power mobility. A few key features of power chair wheels are detailed here.
Power wheelchair users have a clear choice when selecting drive wheels for their power chair. The two types of power chair tires used by Hoveround are pneumatic tires filled with air and flat-free tires filled with foam or solid inserts. Either option would be fine for just about any motorized wheelchair.1 In fact, air-filled and solid power chair tires are often interchanged. But, for some power chair users, one type of wheel may be preferred over the other because of their differences.
Pneumatic Wheelchair Tires (Air-Filled)
Filled with air, pneumatic power wheelchair tires have several beneficial traits.
- lightweight and shock absorbent for a gentler riding experience
- smoothly travels over bumpy surfaces and uneven terrain
- deep-tread design increases tire traction and adds stability
Yet, despite these positive attributes, pneumatic tires are not care-free. They require periodic inflating and may go flat if punctured or ruptured in any way.
Flat Free Wheelchair Tires (Foam-Filled)
Semi-solid, polyurethane foam-filled power chair tires have their own set of advantages.
- puncture-proof: won't rupture and will not leak air, because there is no air to leak out
- low-maintenance: easy care and hassle-free, the inserts can sometimes be re-used
- flat-free tires are skid-free and strong: they make excellent power drive wheels
Foam-filled power chair tires might not deliver as smooth a ride as air-filled ones, but the security of knowing they'll never go flat might outweigh the minor discomfort of a few bumps in the road.
Never Get Caught Without Wheels
Whether pneumatic or solid, purchased as a spare or to replace old, worn-out tires, our power chair tires will keep you moving. Find out more by contacting a mobility specialist.
Call us at 1-800-542-7236 This article is for informational purposes only.
1Flat-free tires are available for most Hoveround models. Call for details.