Fold-down seat backs featured on adjustable power wheelchair seats (and on motorized scooters) offer several benefits to the power mobility user. More than comfort, convenience and ease-of-transport, a scooter or electric wheelchair with a fold-down backrest further enhances personal mobility and expands independence.
Foldable Power Wheelchairs: The Benefits of Portability
While most power wheelchairs are designed for in-home mobility, the portability of a folding power chair can be an equally desired attribute.
A few benefits to having a portable electric wheelchair that can fold include:
- Easy transport - simply load the folded chair onto a hitched vehicle chair lift
- Simple storage - backrest folds to fit inside a car trunk, SUV or minivan
- Secure travel - safely stores in airplane or cruise ship cargo holds
In addition to a fold-down seat back, the Hoveround MPV5® has the added benefit of being one of the most maneuverable and compact power chairs available.
How to Fold Down a Power Chair Backrest
Hoveround backrests fold-down with minimal effort. To ensure personal safety, the procedure below should be followed at all times:
- Start with the seat and back in the upright position.
- Apply pressure to the chair back, pushing it downward.
- The back will fold down onto the seat cushion.
- Lift the seat back up to return it to its upright position.
- When the seat back 'locks', it is completely upright and safe to sit in.
Foot plates and adjustable armrests on Hoveround power chairs also flip-up to maximize foldability.
Expertly designed to give mobility impaired individuals an outstanding level of stability, quality and safety, a folding power wheelchair from Hoveround will ensure maximum comfort and support.
For more active outdoor users, Hoveround offers stylish motorized scooters, with similarly easy-to-fold down back rests and flip-up armrests.
Hoveround makes it easy. Simply contact a Mobility Specialist by calling 1-800-542-7236 or shop online.
This article is for informational purposes only.