For routine power wheelchair maintenance, a weekly checklist can be a handy tool.
Other than some initial power wheelchair safety tips and basic daily care, careful weekly inspections are usually enough to determine if your equipment may be in need of service.
If, while performing daily or weekly maintenance on a Hoveround power chair, there are clear signs of damage, the seat belt does not latch or stay latched, or the chair is not working correctly, please contact 1-800-96-HOVER immediately. Our mobility technicians are able to service and repair most power chairs during an in-home service call.1
Important Maintenance Safety Note
Make certain the power wheelchair batteries are disconnected before checking or handling any movable parts. For additional instructions on safe maintenance routines, refer to your power wheelchair Owner's Manual.
Weekly Maintenance Checklist
Drive Tires & Caster Wheels
- Check for cracks, punctures, and excessive wear and tear
- Check that caster wheels pivot and rotate freely
- Check the air pressure and adjust as needed2
- Check manual break releases
- Release each brake separately to ensure that each disables the drive when released
Joystick, seat, armrests
- Check that the rubber boot around joystick is intact
- Check that each armrest bolts are tight
- On MPV5 models, check that all swivel seat screws are tight and that the lock engages
- Check all charger cords and connectors for loose connections, damaged cables or signs of electrical damage
Clean power wheelchair
- Keep all areas of power chair clean. Read next article in series on how to properly clean your power chair
By keeping your power wheelchair well-maintained, you are helping to reduce the need for major repairs. If you have any questions about recommended maintenance, please contact Hoveround at 800-96-HOVER.
1Repair times may vary, depending on various factors. Please call for details.
2Refer to your owner's manual for recommended air pressure levels for particular power wheelchair drive tires.
NOTE: This article is for informational purposes only.