The following is a short list of five essential tips for using a battery charger safely. More extensive safety information can be found in the manual for your battery charger, and by contacting your scooter or motorized wheelchair supplier. Owners of personal mobility power vehicles are strongly advised to carefully read the battery charger manual and to follow all safety guidelines. Save the manual, and refer to it each time the batteries are being charged.
5 Tips for Battery Charger Safety
- Read the User's Manual Carefully
- Study the battery charger manufacturer's precautions and warnings.
- Follow instructions in the manual for charging mobility vehicle batteries.
- Battery chargers are matched to specific battery types and sizes.
- Each charger is only to be used with the device it is intended for, and as instructed by the manufacturer.
- Charge your scooter/power chair batteries in a well-ventilated area.
- Do not smoke, or use open flames near the batteries or charger.
- Operate a battery charger in dry environments.
- Do not sit in the power wheelchair or mobility scooter while charging. Hoveround-portable-charger-for-power-chair battery
- Handle the battery charger, and all electrical cords, with extreme care.
- Do not use a charger with frayed wiring, or a damaged power cord.
- Avoid using extension cords due to fire and electric shock risks.
- Unplug the charger while cleaning, and anytime it is not charging.
- Never open or disassemble the battery charger.
- Keep the power cord in sight, and out of the way, to avoid tripping over it.
- Keep hands dry when handling the charger and battery.
- Remove all jewelry. Heat conducted during charging may burn the skin.
- If you need help charging your batteries - Ask someone for assistance.
When replacing a battery charger, the new charger should be the same type as the one originally supplied and according to the manufacturer's instructions. Remember: An incompatible charger could permanently damage your vehicle's battery.
For expert assistance with any Hoveround product, call 800-542-7236 to speak with our helpful service and repair technicians.
This article is for informational purposes only, and may not apply to every type of battery charger. Please consult the product manual and follow the manufacturer's safety instructions.