Each year since 1978, the first Sunday after Labor Day is designated as National Grandparents' Day (in 2020 it will be September 13), to celebrate the matriarch and patriarch of the family. Hoveround is all about helping families spend quality time together, so we've put together this list of ideas to help you celebrate Grandparents' Day!
10 Things To Do on Grandparents Day
Give the Gift of Time
Probably the best gift of all is time. Give the grandparents the gift of spending time with their grandkids. Slim on ideas? That's okay; we've got some for you:
- Schedule Art Time. The best thing about art is that anyone can do it, at any age! Grab watercolors, acrylics, pencils, crayons and markers and create a masterpiece together.
- Have a Picnic. Go to the park, beach or zoo for a picnic!
- Watch a Movie. Rent or download an oldie but goodie on your TV, or go to the theater to watch a new release together.
- Have a Spa Day. Do grandma's nails and hair, and get all dolled up together. Nowhere to go? That's OK, just spending the time together and talking is sure to be a good time.
- Do a Puzzle. Find an interesting puzzle — whether a landscape, architectural picture or something else interesting — and see who can fit the most pieces together.
- Plant Something. Spend some time gardening, or plant a new tree, flower or vegetable together.
- Have a Game Night (or Day). Gather up some board games and play them. Be sure to have an old family favorite and some new ones, too! Card games count!
Make Memories Together
- Write Down a Family Recipe. Is there a favorite culinary treat in your family? Pass down the recipe from grandparent to grandchild while having fun! (No special heirloom recipe? That's okay — just making any meal or dessert together is a lovely bonding activity!)
- Play 20 Questions. Switch up the questions game and ask each other fun, thought-provoking questions. Perhaps what would you do with a million dollars — or if you could be anything in the world, what would you be? Ask questions to learn about each other in a silly way.
- Take Fun Selfies. The grandkids these days love taking selfies, so make sure to include the grandparents in the pics as well! Then, when all is said and done, you'll be able to make a special follow-up gift with all the smiling photos.
Gifts to Make for Grandparents Day
The best gifts are those that come from the heart, and grandparents certainly appreciate handmade gifts from their grandchildren! Help the kids out by making one of these to celebrate:
- A memory box. Grandparents love to look at things that bring up memories, so fill a box with some! Toss in items that make the grandkids think about their time with the grandparents (like an old movie stub, pictures, or drawings of time together), and add some trinkets special to make the grandparents think about the grandkids (like a name bracelet, baseball, or perhaps a baby bootie).
- Personalized crafts. Depending on the age of the grandchild, there are tons of ideas for creating gifts that can be displayed on the wall. Check out our Pinterest board for some ideas (including a handprint family tree or cute framed photos)!
Regain independence with Hoveround
Do you, or a parent or grandparent have mobility issues? Hoveround can help regain mobility! Check out our power wheelchairs and mobility scooters, then call us today at (800) 542-7236 to find out how to regain your independence!