Whether you’re going to the local market, attending a backyard party for your grandchild, or visiting a neighbor’s house, your battery-operated power scooter can get you there in comfort and style.
However, neglecting to charge your mobility scooter batteries -- even for just one day -- could reduce your scooter’s driving power and interrupt the freedom you’ve come to rely upon and enjoy. But, if you follow the battery charging instructions below, your scooter will always be ready to take you where you want to go, when you want to go.
Charging Your Motorized Scooter Batteries
If you encounter any difficulty managing these procedures, please seek assistance. These easy steps are for charging the batteries while they are housed within the scooter. Additional battery charging tips can be found in your scooter owner’s manual.*
- Turn the scooter's power switch to the OFF position.
- Connect the charger’s plug to the charging port on the scooter.
- Plug the charger's power cable into a power outlet.
- When the charger's LED red/orange light is on, the battery is charging. Optimal charging time is 6 to 8 hours, or up to 10 hours to achieve a complete charge. The scooter manual will have the exact charging times recommended for your scooter.
- Stop charging when the LED light is completely green.
- Disconnect charger from the scooter, then from the power outlet.
- Run your scooter before riding it to verify the battery charge.
Recharge Power Scooter Batteries Regularly
The batteries of a power mobility vehicle need to be charged to full capacity every night. This point cannot be emphasized enough. The batteries should also be fully re-charged
- before taking your first ride on a new scooter
- at least once a week if the scooter is kept in storage
- after every drive -- if the power scooter is not being used each day
A motorized scooter that receives regular, routine charging will reward you with dependable performance, consistent power and long-lasting batteries for all the scooter rides yet to come.
Learn more about Hoveround’s full line of high-quality mobility scooters, available in 3 and 4-wheel models. Visit the Hoveround online electric scooter store, or simply call Hoveround at 800-308-9295 to get the right power scooter for returning easy and independent mobility to your life.
*The instructions and images on this page are general in nature and may not apply to every type of power scooter. As scooter specifications vary according to scooter model, battery charging procedures will also differ. Please consult the power scooter owner's manual for exact charging instructions. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations in the manual that came with the mobility scooter, because each scooter has different instructions.
This article is for informational purposes only.