A power wheelchair tray table is one of the most versatile accessories a power chair user can have. Whether used to enjoy a meal, or to provide support and positioning assistance, an armrest-mounted wheelchair table can serve a variety of practical purposes.
Wheelchair-Attachable Trays: Features and Benefits
Power chairs help to make the world more accessible to mobility-impaired individuals. But, problems with accessibility may arise when a table is too difficult to reach, doesn’t provide enough leg clearance, or is simply the wrong height for someone in a wheelchair to safely use.
Hoveround power wheelchair tray tables may eliminate such obstacles.
- The tray attaches to either armrest for convenient access.
- Velcro® straps hold the tray in place to keep it secure and ready to use.
- Available in three sizes (17", 19", 22") to fit a number of power chair models.
A tray table is a truly handy wheelchair accessory for every day use. For example:
- Simply lay a book or magazine down for reading while effortlessly flipping the pages.
- The tray can be used for writing letters, eating, or for similar activities that require a flat surface.
- Some power chair users like to rest their tired arms on the tray table for enhanced relaxation and comfort.
Power Chair Trays as an Element of Health Care
Depending on the results of a medical examination and a doctor’s diagnosis, certain medical conditions may be helped by using a solidly-constructed tray table as a support and positioning aid.
These conditions include, but are not limited to, the following symptoms:
- Weakness in and limited use of muscles in the upper body
- Involuntary spasms and/or muscle contractions
- Problems with maintaining an upright and healthy posture
In cases where an attachable wheelchair tray is vital to mobility treatment and patient care, Medicare may provide coverage.1 The item must be medically necessary and the individual patient must meet very specific criteria, such as first obtaining a doctor's prescription for the equipment.2
Hoveround power chair trays are made from durable polycarbonate and are easy to clean and maintain. These multi-use trays bring added convenience to the lives of many who have renewed their mobility with a Hoveround.
Call toll-free at 800-308-9295 or submit this request form to learn more about purchasing a Hoveround tray table or any of our other mobility products and accessories.
1 Insurance coverage depends on medical necessity as determined by insurer. Valid doctor’s prescription required.
2 Medicare requires a face-to-face mobility examination in a doctor's office, and a prescription prior to evaluating coverage for home mobility equipment.
This article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be construed as medical advice. Please consult with a licensed medical professional for individualized mobility accessory options.