No return to independent mobility is complete without a few useful power wheelchair accessories. Medicare may provide reimbursement for many power chair items as long as they fully meet specific eligibility and coverage criteria.
This being the case, it is important to understand that certain items may fall outside of Medicare's requirement of medical necessity1 and may not be covered. A power chair upgrade is considered non-essential if:
- the item is beneficial primarily for the performance of leisure and/or recreational activities
- the accessory is decorative in nature and does nothing to resolve mobility deficits or functioning
- the optional part has not been prescribed as necessary for performing mobility-related activities of daily living inside the home
Available Power Wheelchair Accessories
Most power mobility accessories may be purchased at any time. Optional items marked by an asterisk (*) below may qualify for Medicare coverage under very particular circumstances.2
- Portable wheelchair ramps
- Power chair lifts/wheelchair vehicle transports
- Safety flag
- Beverage cup holder
- Travel mug
- Side bags, backpacks
- Permanently-installed stair lifts
- Power seat lift*3
- Tray table*
- Oxygen tank holders*
- Supplementary mobility device holders (crutch holder, cane holder)*
- Joystick ease-of-use attachments (yellow ball knob, joystick extensions)*
Many of these items are available to purchase online on Hoveround's website.
To find out if an accessory may be covered by Medicare, or to obtain more power wheelchair accessories, just contact us at 1-800-308-9295. Our friendly mobility specialists are eager to assist.
1 Medical Necessity: criteria which encompasses durable medical equipment that is doctor-prescribed and essential for accommodating, maintaining and/or improving a patient’s physical functioning and mobility-related activities of daily living ( i.e., feeding, toileting, dressing, grooming, transfers, etc) and as determined by the insurer.
2 Determination and other statutory and regulatory requirements must be met for Medicare coverage.
3Power seat lift must be ordered at time of Hoveround power chair purchase.
The list of items and policy criteria featured in this article is not complete. More facts on Medicare coverage for power wheelchair upgrades are available from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Please call 1-800-MEDICARE for details.
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. All information is general in nature and may not necessarily apply to every one and every situation.