Medicare Frequently Asked Questions Below is a list of commonly asked questions about power chairs and Medicare coverage. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact one of our mobility specialists at at 1-800-542-7236. Expand All | Collapse All How do I know if I qualify for Medicare coverage for a power wheelchair?Under Medicare coverage guidelines, power wheelchairs are covered if they are medically necessary for you to perform daily living activities in your home that can’t be performed using a cane, walker, manually operated wheelchair or a mobility scooter. In addition, you must demonstrate the ability to safely and effectively operate the power wheelchair in your home.What is Competitive Bidding and how does that affect my Medicare power chair coverage?Competitive Bid Areas (CBA) means that a contract is awarded to a power chair supplier based solely on price (not quality or service). If you live in one of these areas, this takes away your choices as a consumer and you will only be able to obtain a power chair from the bid winner.How is the new Healthcare Law affecting my power wheelchair coverage? Now, instead of a purchase option, Medicare requires that the power chair is rented over a period of 13 months. Rather than being billed once, seniors will be billed over 13 months for any applicable co-pays and deductibles. Once payment is made in full through Medicare and any beneficiary co-pays and/or deductibles, ownership of the power chair will be transferred to you. Why do I have to see a doctor for Medicare to cover my power wheelchair?Medicare coverage guidelines require you to have a face-to-face office visit with your doctor before they will cover any portion of your power wheelchair cost. This visit must be for a mobility evaluation, not a general examination.Will Medicare and my insurance pay for 100% of my Hoveround power chair?The cost of your power chair may vary based on your insurance coverage. However, 9 out of 10 customers received their Hoveround for little or no cost.1 If you meet the criteria, Medicare will pay 80% of the cost of your Hoveround and if you have met your deductibles, your supplemental insurance may cover the remaining 20% of the cost. Please note that as of January 2011, the Medicare benefit has changed to a 13-month rental, with ownership transferred to the beneficiary once payment has been paid in full through Medicare and any beneficiary co-pays or deductibles. 1 Insurance coverage depends on medical necessity which is determined by your insurer. A valid doctor's prescription is required. What happens to my power chair if I go to a nursing home?With the new Medicare guidelines, power chairs are rented over a 13-month period. Medicare will not continue to pay for the rental of a power mobility device if the Medicare beneficiary is admitted to one of the following facilities or programs: Hospital Skilled Nursing Facility Rehabilitation Facility Hospice Program Should you be admitted to one of these facilities or programs before the 13-month rental is complete, please call Hoveround immediately at 1-800-96-HOVER to make arrangements to return the equipment.Do I have to pay the 20 percent co-payment?If you qualify and have met your deductible, Medicare will pay up to 80 percent of the cost of your power wheelchair. You’re responsible for paying the remaining 20 percent of the cost of your power wheelchair either directly or through supplemental insurance. Please note that as of January 2011, the Medicare benefit has changed to a 13-month rental, so you will be billed monthly over the 13-month period. How do I obtain Medicare coverage for a power wheelchair?The first step in obtaining Medicare coverage for your wheelchair is to speak with a Hoveround Mobility Specialist and schedule an appointment with your doctor. This appointment must be specifically for a mobility evaluation. Your doctor will evaluate your mobility limitations inside your home to determine medical necessity for a power wheel chair. A doctor’s prescription is required for Medicare coverage.Who initiates the necessary Medicare or insurance paperwork?Hoveround will handle all of the required Medicare or insurance paperwork directly with your physician once we receive your doctor’s prescription. We then submit and track your Medicare and/or insurance paperwork on your behalf.